Here are Our Favourite Sustainable Winter Coats for 2022
Sustainable outerwear and winter coats are growing in popularity, and we’ve been watching for the latest looks for 2022. We’ve discovered so many new eco-conscious apparel manufacturers, they’re making more styles of outerwear than ever before.
That’s welcome news when we hear eye-opening stats like this:
- You need 2,700 litres of water to produce enough cotton for 1 T-shirt.
- 85% of clothing bought by Americans eventually ends up in landfills.
- Two-thirds of German and UK consumers consider sustainability an important buying factor.
- 72% of respondents say they want brands to write how their products are sustainable on the packaging.
The waste produced by promotional products is just as significant. That’s why we’re dedicated to sourcing the most ethical and environmentally friendly manufacturers and outerwear that is built to last.
What makes winter coats sustainable and eco-friendly?
When choosing environmentally friendly products for our merch catalogue, we look for these factors:
- Organic cotton: Organic cotton is produced with 100% natural seeds that have never been sprayed by pesticides or harmful chemicals and are gentler on the growing soil.
- RPET (Recycled Polyester): Recycled polyester is a popular choice for some of our favourite clothing brands. It’s made from recycled plastic bottles that have been ground down and spun into polyester fibres. It has a much lower carbon footprint than other fibres.
- PFOA-free: These are fabrics and clothes made without “fluoro” chemicals. These chemicals and not-so-affectionately known as “forever chemicals” because they can resist breaking down in our bodies and the environment.
- Fair labour practices: Many fast fashion brands manufacture garments in sweatshops where the workers barely make enough to support their families. We want to work with manufacturers who provide a fair wage for everyone in their supply chain.
- Giving Back: We love seeing fashion brands who give back to environmental initiatives and causes.
Top 8 sustainable outerwear pieces from our suppliers
We’re proud to work with many amazing eco-conscious suppliers, especially in our garment lines. Here are 8 of our favourite outerwear garments right now:
Patagonia – Men’s Nano Puff® Vest:
This manufacturer is making a purposefully positive environmental impact. They meet 100% of their electricity needs for their US locations with renewable energy, 87% of their garments are made from recycled materials, and 64,000+ workers are supported by the company’s participation in the Fair Trade program. Their Nano Puff Vest is unique as it is stuffed with lightweight, highly-compressible 60g PrimaLoft Gold Insulation Eco 100% post-consumer recycled polyester. Its fabric is also bluesign® approved, and the outer fabric contains a water repellent coating that does not contain harmful perfluorinated chemistry.
Storm Creek – Women’s Idealist Windbreaker:
Storm Creek boasts an eco collection of outerwear made from at least 35% recycled materials. They’ve saved over 12 million plastic bottles from landfills by taking post-consumer plastic bottles and grinding them into plastic chips that are spun into yarn. This yarn is then used to create their finished garments. They use four recycled plastic bottles in one Idealist Windbreaker. The jacket is made from 40% Recycled Polyester Fine Denier Woven Ripstop and is a great go-to jacket that’s lightweight, water-resistant, and windproof.
Cutter & Buck – Rainier PrimaLoft® Men’s Eco Insulated Quilted Shirt Jacket:
This company is committed to creating a catalogue of at least 90% sustainable products by 2025. They’re making headway by using zero air freight (sea freight reduces CO2 emissions by 20-30%), migrating all sales tools to digital formats to save over 37 million sheets of paper, and are certified as an Affiliate of the Fair Trade Labor Association. This insulated shirt jacket can be worn as a jacket or indoor shirt made from 70% recycled polyester (from approximately three bottles per shirt).
Charles River Apparel – Women’s Radius Quilted Vest:
As part of their social and environmental compliance initiatives, Charles River Apparel is a member of the Fair Trade Labour Organization, compliant with WRAP (Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production), and the Business Social Compliance Initiative. The company created a charitable giving program called Charles River Cares to help people in need through employee volunteerism, fundraising events, and in-kind and monetary donations. This women’s quilted vest contains a 100% polyester dobby shell made from certified and guaranteed recycled PET bottles. You can layer this jacket with an outer shell for added warmth.
Vansport Trek Hoodie:
The Vansport Trek Hoodie is made from 45% recycled polyester from plastic bottles (approximately 11-12 per hoodie) and has a handy kangaroo pocket. 1% of proceeds from this and all their sustainable wear is donated to non-profits that help protect our environment.
The North Face- Ladies Thermoball™ Eco Long Jacket:
The North Face is a popular activewear company with ThermoBall™ technology. The jacket filling is made from 100% recycled fabrics and insulating material and is a sustainably-conscious synthetic alternative to down. The Thermoball Eco Long Jacket is made from 11.5 g/ft2 ThermoBall Eco synthetic insulation and is made from 100% post-consumer recycled content.
Men’s Joris Eco Softshell Jacket:
This fitted jacket is made from 50-100% (depending on the SKU) recycled polyester. The zippers throughout this jacket are also made from recycled content, and like the Vansport Hoodie, 1% of sales proceeds go towards eco-initiatives.
Another incredible sustainable outerwear company we like is Hexa Custom. You can custom-create your own outerwear from their eco-conscious options. You can include certified and responsibly sourced Allied Feather Down filling and sustainably manufactured fabrics. Their company also has ISO 9000 Quality Management Certification, ISO 14000 Environmental Management Certification, and Responsible Down Standard (RDS) Certification.
Sustainable Winter Coats from Fairware
Fairware does the homework on ethical sourcing and sustainable materials so you can rest assured that your marketing merchandise lines up with your values. We carry some of the most sustainable outerwear from the most eco-forward companies in the world.
Talk to us today about your promotional product or merch needs, and we can recommend some great brands for you!