You’re an experienced finance leader looking for an opportunity to grow and make an impact. You want to make a meaningful contribution at a company that will benefit from your financial expertise, advice, and strategic perspective. You also want to be challenged, and work with a values-driven organization.
If that sounds like you, we have just the opportunity you’re looking for.
We’re Fairware and we believe we can change the world through the act of buying. We provide custom branded products to leading sustainable brands, and we do the homework for our clients on ethical sourcing and sustainable materials, so they rest assured that their marketing merchandise aligns with their values. Our commitment to sustainability led us to become a certified B Corporation.
We’re looking for a new Financial Controller to oversee our financial operations and inform our strategy as continue to grow our presence in Canada and the US.
Your goal in this position is to leverage your expertise to help us make sound financial decisions that align with our growth strategy as we expand and grow in both Canada and the US. Not only will you take care of the finance operations, but you’ll also oversee strategy, HR, and IT.
This position will give you the autonomy to further define your responsibilities and have exciting opportunities to take on projects that align with your unique skill set.
Practically speaking, here’s what you’ll do from day-to-day:
- Manage, coach, and mentor accounting assistants to ensure that AP and AR functions are carried out effectively
- Manage group month end and year end closing procedures including verifying figures, data, and reports
- Ensure accuracy of sales tax in both Canada and the US, process sales tax returns
- Work with external accountants in Canada and the US on year end processes and tax filings
- Oversee the processing of payroll and its adherence to tax regulations
- Lead management reporting by producing monthly, quarterly, and annual insight packs for senior management team
- Lead the budgeting process
- Engage in the strategic planning process
- Work with our external advisors to ensure compliance with relevant HR laws
- Oversee employees and manage office operations
- Liaise with our external IT support team to ensure operational and strategic IT requirements are being met for the company
The best in this role have an eagle eye for detail, and a strong sense for ensuring the numbers add up. Your excellent communication skills and ability to see the big picture will contribute to your success in this role.
Your opinion and ideas will always be valued, and we invite you to examine our processes and find efficiencies or improvements in the way our finance department runs. Whether this means finding a new software to automate processes, or a different way to organize something, we want you to feel comfortable analyzing information and sharing ideas.
Working with Fairware
This is a full time, permanent position working out of our modern, open-plan office located near Olympic Village in Vancouver, easily accessible through transit and close to bike share stations. Our core office hours are Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm with flexibility, and your flexibility will be key in managing busier periods with higher demand. You’ll earn a competitive salary of $75,000 to $90,000 per year, plus medical benefits package, profit sharing, 3 weeks vacation, and group-based quarterly performance bonuses.
Our team is small, close-knit, and very collaborative. With us, you’ll also enjoy a positive culture, a team-oriented environment, the opportunity to work closely with people who are values-driven, and opportunities for professional development.
If this sounds like the kind of team you want to join, we want to meet you!
Experience & Qualifications
- Experience in a managerial or supervisory role, directly overseeing employees
- Experience using Quickbooks or another similar accounting program
- Strong knowledge of group accounting structures
- Experience with using financial analysis to make strategic business decisions
- Post-secondary degree of diploma in accounting, finance, or related
- CPA or CMA designation (completed or nearing completion)
- Experience working in an organization with offices in both Canada and the United States would be an asset